Company Formation Malta
Updated on Friday 11th May 2018
Rate this article 0 reviewsbased on
BridgeWest provides company formation in Malta. Our local agents in Malta offer assistance related to:- drawing up the Articles of Association that can be signed through Power of Attorney (Maltese laws require powers of attorney for any public notary proceedings);
- drawing up documents for company incorporation in Malta: specimen signatures, identification copies, application form required by the Maltese Company Registration Office;
- arranging public notary proceedings (All procedures for company incorporation are done in front of a Maltese public notary);
- providing a registered office in Malta on demand; the registered office serves as headquarters for the company in Malta and it will be made public;
- setting up a bank account for the company in Malta; BridgeWest will help in setting up the share capital bank account, as well as a current bank account once the company is incorporated.
- recommending a Maltese accountant, as accounting services are needed for new businesses in Malta
The most common types of companies in Malta
- private limited company in Malta – The Maltese private limited company is the most common type of company because it only requires a shareholder and a director, who can be an individual or a legal entity. The minimum share capital for a private limited company in Malta is approximately 1,200 EUR. All private limited companies must have a secretary. Shareholders are held accountable for the company’s obligations and debts to the extent of their share contribution. The shares of private limited companies cannot be traded on the Maltese stock exchange.
- public limited company in Malta – The Maltese public limited company is required to have at least one shareholder, one director and one secretary. The shareholders of a public limited company in Malta are held liable for the company’s debts and obligations to the extent of their share contributions. The minimum share capital for a public limited company in Malta is approximately 47,000 EUR and the shares can be transferred or traded on the stock exchange.
- Maltese Branch, Subsidiary or Representative Office- Foreign companies are allowed to set up separate enterprises from the parent company, where the foreign company will be a shareholder in a Maltese company. Foreign companies can also open extensions of the parent company in Malta.
Taxation in MaltaThe corporate tax in Malta is 35%.
The standard VAT rate in Malta is 18%, but reduced rates of 7% apply in tourism services and 5% apply to certain products.
The taxes on distributed profits in Malta range between 0 and 10%.
BridgeWest is also able to offer ready-made Maltese companies and VAT registration.
Please contact us for more information about how to open a company in Malta and prices.